We are working with a great local company in growth mode and under new local ownership!
JOB PURPOSE SUMMARY:
The controller position is a leader of the management team with the ability to train, teach, and coach our team members to achieve a higher level of performance. This role is central to all facets of our operations. While monthly financial reports and controls are a requirement of this (or any) controller position, the expectation is that leader will utilize analytics to drive continuous improvement and profitability across all functions.
The Controller works directly for the President and will be hired to improve the financial strength of the organization. The Controller will provide education and training on financial tools, analysis, operations, etc. and work closely with internal teams to drive results.
SCOPE AND CONTACTS:
Plant Manager, Production Supervisors, Engineering, Sourcing, Sales, Customer Service
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures
- Oversee the operations of the accounting department, including assignment of duties on daily transactions in our accounting systems.
- Oversee the accounting operations, control systems, transaction-processing operations, and policies and procedures.
- Audit expenditures to help management team members drive financial accountability in their teams and establish company policies that support a high-performance culture.
- Provide financial analyses as needed, in particular for capital investments, pricing decisions, and contract negotiations
- Ensure that all required daily accounting transactions are done properly and on a timely basis i.e. invoicing, payables, receivables, commissions, and collections, item costs and margins, etc by the bookkeeper.
- Ensure that periodic bank reconciliations are completed
- Ensure that required debt payments are made on a timely basis
- Maintain the chart of accounts
- Maintain an orderly accounting filing system
- Maintain a system of controls over accounting transactions
- Prepare and present accurate financial statements to the President and Board of Directors in a timely mannerInvestigate any unexplained variances to expected financial results.
- Recommend benchmarks against which to measure the performance of company operations
- Calculate and issue financial and operating metrics
- Manage the production of the annual budget and forecasts
- Provide for a system of management cost reports
- Coordinate the provision of information to external auditors for the annual audit
- Monitor cash levels and inventory to ensure reserves, taxes, and leases are managed within expected levels.
- Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or business administration, or equivalent business experience and 4-7 years in a financial role.
- Able to work well with senior executives and mentor/lead other team members;
- Candidates with a Certified Public Accountant or Certified Management Accountant license is preferred but not required.
- Public accounting experience preferred, experience, at a minimum, as an Assistant Controller in a manufacturing environment strongly preferred.
- Proven results of collaborating with internal customers, sharing insights, gaining information from others, and translating operation needs and requirements into work instructions.
- Comprehension and execution of GAAP, industry and public company standards.
- MSExcel - Ability to build financial schedules, review data with pivot tables, and forecast profit margins and results.
- Ability to learn ERP system, Microsoft Power BI, and understanding of how to extract reports and data from these data sources to perform analysis.
- Understanding of plant scheduling & impact on financial results (profitability, volume, fixed/variable overhead, inventory).
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS/PPE REQUIREMENTS: This is an office position with very little travel required. Normal sitting, standing, and lifting of office type supplies and equipment is expected.
MEASURE OF PERFORMANCE:
- Accuracy of financial records as compared to third-party audits
- Time to close (days) after month end
- Ability to drive business performance (inventory turns, cash management, cost control).
This description and objectives outlined above are neither conclusive or finite and the employee may be asked to carry out other duties not described if it is deemed that they fit within the scope of this position.
Call Mike or Pete!
Integritas Michiana's Most Connected Recruiters"