Assist the Director and Deputy Director in all areas of the general accounting functions. This includes the general ledger, payables, payroll, property, investments, budget reporting, analysis and statistical accumulation. This individual also assists in financial report preparation on a regular and special request basis; reviewing entries to the general and statistical ledgers to assure accuracy.
Primary Job Functions:
- Regularly reviews entries to the general and statistical ledgers to assure accuracy and compliance with established accounting principles and procedures;
- Prepares general and statistical ledger entries;
- Prepares financial and statistical reports as required;
- Coordinates and prepares for financial audits as required;
- Assists in the preparation of annual capital, expense, and activity budgets;
- Administers gift annuities;
- Prepares and/or reviews required tax returns;
- Recommends changes in financial policies and procedures, as necessary;
- Monitors established internal controls to assure proper compliance;
- Prepares regulatory and financial reports for gift annuities, state charitable solicitation registrations, and for other agencies as needed;
- Reconciliation of investments and preparing and submitting required documents;
- Prepares reporting for lobbying and C4 allocations;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Related Work Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration with a major in Accounting;
- Five (5) years' combination of experience, education, and training which would provide the level of knowledge, skill, and ability required;
- A CPA with public accounting experience is desirable.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Knowledge of technical and professional principles and skills of accounting and nonprofit finance
- Strong computer and spreadsheet skills.
- Ability to maintain good working relationships with co-workers, supervisor, management, and department head staff and various Center personnel.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills.
- Ability to communicate both orally and in writing with a wide range of people.
Other Special Considerations:
This job is performed under general office conditions and is not subject to any strenuous physical demands or dangerous conditions.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. These statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.
An Equal-Opportunity Employer with a Commitment to Diversity
Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and as an organization committed to diversity and the perspective of all voices, we consider applicants equally of race, gender, gender identity, color, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, disability, political affiliation, national origin, or prior record of arrest or conviction.